Friday, July 15, 2011

Triptych: Windows



"So I wait for you like a lonely house
till you will see me again and live in me.
Till then my windows ache."

Pablo Neruda 
(100 Love Sonnets: Cien Sonetos de Amor)



Today in the middle of summer I am missing this place- 
the Adriatic Sea on the Albanian coast...

This view is very special... a rare view from inside King Zog's old royal palace, now sadly crumbling in ruin. 
I think that one day it will be added to the list of local archaeological sites.

Build in 1927, as a personal gift to HM King Zog I, by the business community of Durres as a sign of respect and prosperity. Build in a form of an eagle, the villa was constructed on the highest point of the port city of Durres, overlooking the city and peering towards Italy. It is most famous for its Blue marble and large ballroom. Although horribly damaged during the 1997 riots, it remains a symbol the heritage of the city of Durres. With over two thousand newly married couples visiting it as a sign of good luck yearly.
From: Albanian Royal Court

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful. And I love the quote too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sea looks so good to me.

    I read on The frosted Gardner blog that you live in a victorian home. check out the blog

    My Old Historic House blog he lives in a Victorian home also !!!!!!!

    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Di... my faithful and long time reader xoxo

    Janice, thank you for leaving a comment-- it means so much to me! And I'm going to check out the link you shared with me right now... sounds very interesting!

    ReplyDelete