Wednesday, February 25, 2015

A Comforting Gingerbread Cake

It's freezing outside and the wind is whipping the snow around my warm yellow house. I decided early in the day that I was not going anywhere and that there would be no need for my boots today. Instead I've spent time organizing my office, reading a book on being creative, and am ready to tuck a very comforting little gingerbread cake into the oven.



The sun is streaming in the kitchen window and my lovely yellow tulips are giving a glow to the room. I recall making this cake several times for my friend Brenda when we stayed at her wonderful apartment in Scheveningen, Holland a few years ago. It is just the thing the doctor calls for on days like these. It's old-fashioned and so simple, but it really makes you warm inside, especially topped with a dollop of fresh whipped cream.



Everything must be at room temperature to begin.
Preheat the oven to 350F.
Grease and flour a 9" square pan.

Whisk together thoroughly:
2 1/2 cups white flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt

Whisk together in a small bowl:
1 cup hot water
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup molasses

Whisk together in a large bowl:
1/2 cup butter (melted and cooled)
1 large egg
1/2 cup sugar



Add the dry and liquid ingredients alternately to the butter mixture, whisking well after each addition.

Add, if desired;
3 TBSP finely chopped crystallized ginger.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick comes out clean (about 1 hour).

Let the pan cool on a rack for 10 minutes.

Best served warm with whipped cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment